First we like to let you know that it is not possible to fit a second hand BSI to a peugeot. Below are a few BSI facts.
- The engine ECU and the BSI have to be matched.
- Each ECU in a correctly functioning system has a 4 digit code programmed into it.
- Once this code is entered into the ECU it will not be possible to be read, deleted or modified.
- The second hand BSI can't be matched to the existing engine ECU even if you know both codes from both ECU's.
- In order to fit a new BSI you need to know the correct security code of the existing engine ECU so you can enter this code in the new BSI.
- If you get this wrong the new BSI will become unusable.
- If you don't know the correct code for the existing engine ECU then you need to replace the engine ECU and the BSI.
- They then will need to be configured and matched. If the code to the vehicle is not known you can make up a code in this case
but make sure you enter the same code in both ECU. It could be an expensive exercise to get this one wrong.
- Peugeot Dealers can obtain the security codes for a particular vehicle if you are the lawful owner.
- The odometer reading (distance travelled) is memorised in the BSI and the instrument panel. If you connect a second hand BSI with a reading
higher then the one on the instrument, the distance on the instrument will increase to the higher BSI reading as soon as it is connected to the car.
- So beware, a customer would not be happy if his distance suddenly jumped up several thousand kilometres.
- There is one way you can fit a second hand BSI. Use the engine ECU from the same donor car where the BSI came from.
- It would then still be helpful if you can obtain the donor cars 4 digit security code for future programming, and also remember the issue with the distance. The distance reading won't be a problem if the donor car has lower distance then the recipient, the distance in the BSI will then simply go up to the correct distance.
Repair is an alternative for replacement of the BSI.
Here is a link to a company in the UK that claims to repair Peugeot BSI units. BBA-Reman.com