Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/liontame/public_html/forums/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Upstream Oxygen Sensors
LIONTAMER.NET
12, December, 2017, 02:50: *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Registration for this forum is temporarily unavailable due to a large amount of abuse.
We like to ask anyone who wishes to become an active member of this forum to please use the "CONTACT" link and request a membership.
In the meantime we hope you enjoy just browsing our forum and benefit from some of the information available.

Forum Home   Help Search Login Register Contact  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upstream Oxygen Sensors  (Read 10480 times)
cliff

« on: 31, October, 2012, 15:51: »

After Peugeot changed all coils and plugs I  still got an alarm and rough running on my 10 year old 607 V6 3L engine (motor XFX). Only 100,000 kilometers.
It happened once after a month of various driving conditions after the service.

Local Pug diagnostic suggests a permanent fault in the upstream oxygen sensor (rear pre-catalyser)  and an intermittent fault in the upstream oxygen sensor  (front pre- catalyser). Both due to ageing.

Can you explain why this wasn't picked up by the diagnostics when they had my car a month ago to solve the same symptoms, albeit occurring much more often?
I'm wondering if this an expensive set of parts and repairs?
Liontamer
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: 05, November, 2012, 21:41: »

You are asking us why your Peugeot mechanic did not pick up the O2 sensor problem in the first place.
I don't know why and how you expect us to answer this question. Perhaps the you should ask your repairer.

Spark plugs are routine service item and may have been due anyway. Misfiring due to ignition coil failure is a common problem on this engine and chances are is was justified. Also O2 sensor problems are not uncommon on this model and the diagnosis may well be correct. I situations where multiple issues are present one problem may mask the other. Or the second issue can be falsely viewed as a secondary effect caused by the first problem, in this case by the engine misfire due to coil malfunction.

As to the two questions. How much will it cost? Why was it not picked up by diagnostics?
I recommend you ask the people who work on your car. They will be able to give you an answer whilst we can only make a guess.

The Liontamer.
cliff

« Reply #2 on: 07, November, 2012, 20:48: »

Thanks for your reply.
Just wondered if anyone had a hypothetical reasoning for the missing diagnoses. Those guys make such a big thing about how only the Peugeot scanner can do deep diagnoses.
Liontamer
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: 16, November, 2012, 18:38: »

Well, as I said earlyer, when multiple problems show up a decision has to be made and sometimes people get it wrong. The O2 sensor problem could have been explained away as a secondary fault that was caused by the other problem. Now it turned out that this was not the case. Regardles of what tool is being used, humans still have to make a judgement, and as it is so typical for humans, sometimes they get it wrong.

The Liontamer.
cliff

« Reply #4 on: 03, December, 2012, 20:05: »

I am back on the case to replace the upstream oxygen sensors after being distracted for several weeks with the alternator replacement.
I have tested that I can remove all the old sensors and found the upper rear to be a problem so I will invest in a custom spanner (SENSOR OFFSET SPANNER). I expect to be able to get the leverage I need to break the sensor seal without dismantling surrounding shields etc. And of course to torque the new sensor.

The question I have concerns the length of the cable on the replacement parts.
For example compatible Walker brand sensors from USA have 770mm and 650mm cables, which are very generous..

When it comes to after-market and OM replacements is it advantageous to customize the length of the cable/connector to the original lengths?
If not, great.
If so, do you re-terminate the connectors ?  Or cut and join ?

Based on pricing that I've seen and disclaimers for after-market products I reckon I'll be buying the OM products from my dealer.

Another school of thought ( my mechanic for my non-Peugeot cars) says I should try Octane 98 fuel from Mobil for a while and see if that restore/cleans them. Their Bosch-rated life is 160,000km and this car has only just pipped 100,000km. Do you have an opinion on that?
« Last Edit: 04, December, 2012, 09:37: by cliff » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Custom Search